Friday 5 April 2013

Exhibition on Photographer: IDA KAR

Today I visited an exhibition in collaboration with the national portrait gallery (London) at Plymouth City Museum on Bohemian Photographer: Ida Kar

Ida Kar (1908-1974) is a portraiture photographer, she was also the first photographer to gain an exhibition showing at a major london gallery in 1960s. The exhibition is based on a selection of about 40 of her portrait photographs of artists in their studio or natural environment mostly artists from St. Ives - strong connection with Plymouth. She is not extremely well known but is recognised for her encouragement in the acceptable of fine art photography.  Although my style of photography is not really the area of portraiture as such, but I feel my work falls in the fine art category and like Kar, I hope that my work will be able to influence and encourage people to see photography as art and except it for it's incredible abilities.


Ida Kar, 1962

Terry Frost, 1961 - Ida Kar 

Bridget Riley, 1963 - Ida Kar


For more information about this exhibition, visit:
http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/museumidakar

No comments:

Post a Comment